The Scottish Schools Pipe Band Championships
Every school needs a pipe band
The second Scottish Schools Pipe Band Championships is to be held at Broughton High School, Edinburgh on Sunday 9 March 2014.
There is a section for every school band – from those fresh from winning the world championships to a school having a go at competing for the first time.
- Juvenile – for RSPBA registered school bands
- Novice Juvenile – for RSPBA registered school bands
- Junior A – for competing non RSPBA registered bands
- Junior B – for bands that may only have competed in this event last year
- Debut – for first timer school bands
- Quartet – by invitation only
- Freestyle Musicianship - for any participating band with an appetite for innovation and fun
- Juvenile, Novice Juvenile, Junior A, Junior B and Debut: 1st £500, 2nd £300, 3rd £200.
- Invitation Quartet: 1st £250, 2nd £150, 3rd £100.
- Freestyle Musicianship Event: 1st £500, 2nd £250.
New Freestyle Musicianship Event
In addition to the pipe band and quartet piping categories we have decided to introduce a competitive freestyle musicianship event as part of the 2014 Scottish Schools Pipe Band Championships. This category will be open to all schools (or groups of schools from the same education authority) involved in the mainstream Championships.
Entry is free and there may be financial assistance for bands traveling long distances to attend the championships.
The Championships are being run with the blessing of the governing body of such events: The Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association – but is not an official RSPBA event.
The rules are similar to RSPBA competitions – but the association has generously decided to waive the restriction on players registered with one band performing with another to allow those registered with non-school bands to pipe or drum for their school.
If you are interested in taking part as a school please click here to contact the championships administrator, Patrick Gascoigne.